I don't Blame Anyone



I was afraid of the woods,
the huddled trees looked menacing,
as if hissing and scowling at me,
threatening me to keep out.
There were reptiles by the dank ponds too.
Sometimes they would slither over my feet,
sending chills down my spine.
An occasional gleam of a panther's iris,
would find me dashing back home.
Then one day, my mother led me by arms,
humming softly as we walked through the trees,
let me run my fingers over their scared barks,
plucked for me a flower hanging off a branch.
The trees were quite generous, I thought,
they didn't mind it even when I carved deep,
my name, into their trunks.
The snakes didn't hurt me unless I them.
My mother patted my head and said,
"No creature would ever hurt you, unless you do them wrong!"
"Because", she smiled as she continued,
"Every being is a child of God, just as graceful."
I didn't know then that,
She was wrong about one.

From then I was the child of jungle,
my days were ponies, sunshine, and rainbows.
I was the very wind at her merriest,
wandering about wherever she willed,
Grazing, singing, and dancing.
Until one day someone grabbed me from behind,
Never letting go even as I lashed and kicked,
Their nails biting into my dress,
hurting all the way, dragged me away.
I screamed hoping the trees would help me,
they stood still in stoic silence, watching.
I begged through my tears to this man,
pleading to be set free,
for I thought, He, as my mother had said,
Like every other being, was a child of God too,
just as generous and graceful.

I didn't know what was happening,
but it hurt, it burned, it throbbed.
I didn't know what death was,
but then I wanted to die.
I was never a person who could bear pain,
a mere prick of a pin drawing blood,
had me bawling till it wore me to sleep.
I didn't cry this time though,
for this searing pain numbed my senses, paralyzed me, barring the tears from flowing.
Had it hurt so for the trees too, When I etched my name into them?
Had I caused these men to harm that they now hurt me so?

After a while, I opened my eyes, there stood God!
He has come to rescue his child, I thought.
He has come to rescue his child, I thought.
I waited for the pain to go away,
gazing at him expectantly.
But he just stood there, watching quietly,
the numerous weapons in his hands idle,
as I lay there staring and staring.
Maybe I wasn't his child,
or maybe he wasn't as graceful as they say.
I didn't know, I was too tired to think of it.

I am now among the stars,
in my purple frock with its yellow flowers,
for once, it's not bloodied and torn,
for once, my body doesn't hurt.
For once, I am in peace.
I don't blame anyone,
neither God nor his children,
I am just too good for your world.                                        
                                                                                    -Asifa



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Girl Who Wrote About the Cow

The Tale of the Invisible Girl

The Hijab clad Heroine